- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons Pernod
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Two 8 ounce salmon steaks or fillets, tiny bones removed
- 2 teaspoons salmon caviar
1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and tomato; cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the Pernod and stir until incorporated. Add the thyme, bay leaf, salt, and parsley. Continue cooking until thickened. Remove from the heat, transfer to a container, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
2. Heat a charcoal grill to a medium temperature. Lightly coat 2 large squares of aluminum foil with olive oil. Place a piece of salmon steak in the center of each square. Spoon 2 tablespoons garlic-tomato mixture on top of each piece of salmon. Wrap the salmon in the foil, sealing the ends.
3. Place the foil packages on the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. (Alternatively, you may use the broiler or bake in the oven.) transfer to warmed plates and carefully remove the salmon from the foil. Garnish with caviar (optional). Serve immediately.